The most important Linux distros with the most important hacking tools are the following:
- Kali Linux:The most popular hacking toolset environment. (Featured and popularised heavily in Mr Robot TV series made by USA Networks.) NOTE: some important tools to be installed from Kali comand line: OpenVAS (apt-get update && apt-get install -y openvas), Vega (apt-get update && apt-get install -y vega) >
- Want to build the latest version of Kali? Want to customize your ISO? Looking for KDE, LXDE, MATE, XFCE and other customizations? This is the option for you. With everything set up correctly, the basic process is as simple as:
apt-get install git live-build cdebootstrap git clone git://git.kali.org/live-build-config.git cd live-build-config ./build.sh --distribution kali-rolling --verbose
- Parrot Linux (based on Debian): The second most important hacking toolset well-organised with wholes host of tools based on the Mate desktop environment. This is Mr Hacker’s favourite in addition to Kali Linux.
- Black Arch Linux Torrent BlackArch Linux is an Arch Linux-based penetration testing distribution for penetration testers and security researchers. The repository contains 1910 tools. You can install tools individually or in groups. BlackArch Linux is compatible with existing Arch installs. For more information, see the installation instructions. Also, news is published on their blog.
- Backbox Linux Free Open Source Community project with the aim to promote the culture of security in IT environment and give its contribute to make it better and safer. All this using exclusively Free Open Source Software by demonstrating the potential and power of the community.
- DEFT: DEFT (acronym for Digital Evidence & Forensics Toolkit) is a distribution made for Computer Forensics, with the purpose of running live on systems without tampering or corrupting devices (hard disks, pendrives, etc…) connected to the PC where the boot process takes place. The DEFT system is based on GNU Linux, it can run live (via DVDROM or USB pendrive), installed or run as a Virtual Appliance on VMware or Virtualbox. DEFT employs LXDE as desktop environment and WINE for executing Windows tools under Linux. It features a comfortable mount manager for device management. DEFT is paired with DART (acronym for Digital Advanced Response Toolkit), a Forensics System which can be run on Windows and contains the best tools for Forensics and Incident Response. DART features a GUI with logging and integrity check for the instruments here contained.
- CAINE -Computer Forensics Tool collection: (Computer Aided INvestigative Environment) is an Italian GNU/Linux live distribution created as a Digital Forensics project. For a full list of all tools, see the list here.
CAINE offers a complete forensic environment that is organized to integrate existing software tools as software modules and to provide a friendly graphical interface.
- Pentoo Linux Swiss-made command-based pen testing toolset. Pentoo is a Live CD and Live USB designed for penetration testing and security assessment. Based on Gentoo Linux, Pentoo is provided both as 32 and 64 bit installable live CD. For a list of tools see here.
- Santoku Linux – Mobile forensics, imaging and mobile security testing
- Onion Security Embedded in Linux
- Tails -Anonymous Linux OS on a USB stick